Saturday, April 5, 2008

How Gwyneth Paltrow Feels When She Is The Only Woman In The Ironman Movie

USA Weekend brought together Gwyneth Paltrow, Liv Tyler and Maggie Gyllenhaal in Iron Man, Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight, respectively for a rare round-table chat about starring in a comic book movie. All three actresses appear in big summer movies based on classic comic books.

Was it lonely being the only woman in a comic book movie?

Liv: I'm used to that world from "The Lord of the Rings," even though it wasn't really a comic book.

Maggie: Everybody on my set was a guy! I have two lovers in the movie, and they're both these gorgeous men. Come to think of it, there were a lot of powerful, manly men around, and I didn't mind that particularly. [Laughs.]

Gwyneth: Mine was definitely a testosterone-fest. I was the only girl for miles, except for the women working in the wardrobe, hair and makeup departments. I would have time off when the guys would go blow things up in the desert, and every time I went back to work, they were happy to have a girl there. They had kind of forgotten that there were women in the world.

Liv: But you got to be so sexy. Pepper Potts is so sexy and amazing ...

Gwyneth: That's sweet, but I don't know about sexy. Pepper wears Dolce & Gabbana suits ...

Liv: And, meanwhile, I was wet ... in the rain ... wearing jeans and a T-shirt ... while hanging off the back of a helicopter!

Gwyneth: That's cool! I didn't get to do anything like that.

Are there any superpowers you wish you had in real life?

Gwyneth: Hmm, flying would be good. I was going to say invisibility, but it's a little bit dishonest ...

Maggie: Yeah, because then you could just sneak around --

Gwyneth: -- and X-ray vision is definitely dishonest.

Maggie: It seems a little dirty.

Liv: I definitely wouldn't want to read people's minds.

Maggie: That could get you into real trouble.

Liv: I'd like to be Aquaman and breathe underwater.

Maggie: I might get claustrophobic if I did that. I'd probably choose flying. I'd get into too much trouble if I could read minds or become invisible or see through people's clothes.

Gwyneth: There is an ethical line you don't want to cross.

Are there any people you admire in real life who seem like superheroes?

Gwyneth: I look up to [academic and economist] Jeffrey Sachs, people like that who dedicate their lives to making the world a better place.

Maggie: Anyone who puts the good of the world before their own personal well-being, like Nelson Mandela. He risked everything and ended up having a major effect on the world and really shifting things. Just like a superhero.

What do friends and family members say about you doing this kind of film?

Gwyneth: A lot of people were really confused when they heard I was doing "Iron Man." They thought I was doing an Ironman triathlon.

Maggie: My friends and my family know I don't ever want to do stupid and meaningless things, so they trusted me not to do that with Batman.

But let's face it: Aren't these movies, by their very nature, a little silly and hokey?

Maggie: Ours is not like that. We had a good script.

Gwyneth: Ours, too! It wasn't embarrassing in any way. Although there were lines that were a little bit like (screams dramatically), "No, no, press the button! Press the button!!!" Sometimes I'd go, "This line belongs in the book called 'What You Cannot Say in a Movie.'" But I suppose if you're going to blow somebody up, there's a limited number of responses you can have for that.

So you're telling us it was more than just a big payday that made you want to do this film?

Gwyneth: Well, Robert Downey Jr. (who plays the starring role in "Iron Man") called me and said, "You have to do it," and I said, "Yes, it sounds like great fun." And then he said, "And, by the way, don't you want to be in a movie that people actually see?" I wondered, "Hmm, what would that be like?" [Laughs].

No comments: